Join Us! Meet and exchange ideas and questions with people in the region who share an interest in international issues.
The World Affairs Council of the Mid-Hudson Valley, an all-volunteer organization, was founded in 2003 as a forum for citizen education and participation in international issues. Membership and/or donations directly support the educational programs and activities that bring nonpartisan, lively information about critical issues facing our nation and the world to our community. The Council is a member of the World Affairs Councils of America (WACA) and serves Dutchess, Ulster and Orange Counties in New York.
Upcoming Council Events
- Of Interest to Our Members: Mehmet Polat Trio Concert Fri., Sept. 9. , 7 pm. Performance by Mehmet Polat, Turkish ud player, composer, ensemble leader and his trio. Combines various musical genres from Alevi Spiritual, Anatolian Folk and Ottoman Classical. Howland Cultural Center, Beacon, NY.
- Refugees, Migrants and Security Mon., Sept. 12, 7 pm. Talk by Ariane Chebel d’Appollonia, School of Public Affairs and Administration and Division of Global Affairs, Rutgers Univ. Co-sponsored with Marist College as part of their Fall Lecture Series. Hancock Hall 2023, Marist College.
- Great Decisions: The United Nations Mon., Sept. 12, 2016, 7 pm at the Boardman Road Branch of the Poughkeepsie Public Library. Great Decisions Program Discussion, “The United Nations” with Ilgu Ozler, Assoc. Prof., Dept. of Political Science and International Relations and Director SUNY Global Engagement Program in New York City, as facilitator.
- Great Decisions: Climate Change Mon., Oct. 24, 2016, 7 pm at the Boardman Road Branch of the Poughkeepsie Public Library. Great Decisions Program Discussion, “Climate Change” with Steven Leibo, International History and Politics, The Sage Colleges.
- Great Decisions: Cuba and the U.S. Mon., Nov. 14, 2016, 7 pm at the Boardman Road Branch of the Poughkeepsie Public Library. Great Decisions Program Discussion, “Cuba and the U.S.” with Patricia Ferrer-Medina, Assist. Prof. of Spanish Literature and Language, Marist College, as facilitator.